UI Tech Designer
This opportunity is for a full-time position in Chicago, IL or Orlando, FL. Iron Galaxy employees are all working from home at least through April 2021 due to COVID-19. This WFH policy extends to anyone that Iron Galaxy hires between now and then. All new-hire onboarding is being done remotely, and any equipment that you might need will be shipped directly to you.
Iron Galaxy Studios is looking for a passionate UI Tech Designer to help flesh out our existing UI team. We are looking for someone to help champion our interfaces through design, flow, layout, and implementation in-engine for a variety of products and genres.
We are a well-established independent game developer who has partnered with the titans of our industry to ship more high-caliber games than any other independent developer. We’re known for our excellent work on Killer Instinct, as well as helping to bring Skyrim and Diablo III to the Nintendo Switch. We also pride ourselves on being a studio that does amazing work while maintaining a positive culture and supporting work-life balance for our employees.
As a UI Tech Designer, you will be expected to help design and implement UI/UX content for a variety of products including AAA PC, console, and mobile titles. You should be comfortable owning a new UI project and implementation, and able to take over existing projects that have already been setup. While you may have one or more areas of expertise, you aren’t afraid to venture between design and implementation on projects. In addition to your design experience, you should have strong communication skills, and be capable of working with diverse cross-functional teams.
- Have knowledge and skills with existing UI development tools, process, and development software, and be able to adapt to new tools and methods.
- Understand, and help manage UI content processes and pipelines
- Implement game interface in UE4, Unity, and proprietary engines for a variety of genres across single and multiplayer
- Design and develop wireframes, prototypes, and user flows – on your own, and with the collaboration of our UI Team
- Collaborate with Engineering on the UI elements, variables, structure, layout, and optimization / performance targets
- Collaborate with Art team on interface asset layout, implementation, structure, and optimization
- Participate in peer mentorship, and generate feedback for other UI team members
- Take in player and peer feedback and make meaningful iterations and improvements to the implementation and interface
- Help champion UI for our games, energize your peers, and help to drive quality for our products
What else are we looking for? Here’s our wishlist for the ideal candidate. If you possess most of these qualities, you may very well be the one we’re looking for:
- Experience with UI implementation in game engines like UE4 UMG or Unity Canvas
- Some experience in a UI/UX Role designing and implementing interface
- Some scripting / programming experience, such as UE4 Blueprints, C#, LUA, Python, etc.
- Capable of being self-sufficient, highly collaborative, and ability to work in a planning environment that delivers to client expectations
- A knowledge of UI/UX and the ability to speak to your craft with fellow professionals
- Passionate about gaming, interface design, and ability to work well with your teammates
- Experience with commercial UI tools / software solutions such as XD, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, Figma, Axure, etc.
- Experience developing for current or next gen consoles
- Experience creating UI Art or familiarity with general UI Art pipelines