Iron Galaxy Studios is seeking an experienced programmer to join our world-class engineering team. We are a well-established independent game developer who has worked with the titans of our industry to ship more high-caliber games than any other indie developer. We’re known for our excellent work on Killer Instinct, as well as bringing Skyrim and Diablo III to the Nintendo Switch. We also pride ourselves on being a studio that does amazing work while maintaining a positive culture and supporting work-life balance for our employees.
Programmers at Iron Galaxy work on a wide variety of projects, including creating new games from the ground up, co-developing games with partners, and porting existing games to new platforms. Our projects tend to have shorter development cycles; it’s not uncommon for a programmer to work on more than one project in a year. The engineering team has found that this pace helps keep things fresh, providing new challenges, as well as opportunities to utilize experience gained from previous projects.
As a senior programmer, you will be expected to take ownership of significant features and systems, debug difficult problems, and provide guidance and feedback to help your teammates grow. You should be comfortable navigating an unfamiliar codebase. While you may have one or more areas of expertise, you aren’t afraid to venture into other domains. In addition to your technical experience, you should have strong communication skills, and be capable of working with diverse cross-functional teams.
Responsibilities vary based on project, and we will also aim to place you on projects that play to your strengths while also giving you room to grow. Here are some examples of what a senior programmer might be expected to do:
- Provide feedback in code reviews
- Identify performance bottlenecks and possible solutions
- Create a technical design document for a new system
- Review a game design document for a feature and provide feedback
- Implement low-level subsystems for a new platform
- Work with an evaluation team to provide information for a project bid
- Ensure adherence to platform compliance requirements
What else are we looking for? Here’s our wish list for the ideal candidate. If you possess most of these qualities, you may very well be the one we’re looking for:
- 5+ years of experience at a game studio (any size)
- Solid understanding of C/C++
- Strong debugging skills
- Shipped a console game
- Able to adapt to new codebases and platforms
- Passion for personal development and mentoring others
- Love of video games and/or strong desire to be involved in studio life (e.g. events, game nights, making friends, etc)