Iron Galaxy Studios is seeking experienced Senior Programmers to join our world-class engineering team. We are a well-established independent game developer who has worked with the titans of our industry to ship more high-caliber games than any other indie developer. We’re known for our excellent work on Killer Instinct, as well as helping to bring Skyrim, Overwatch and Diablo III to the Nintendo Switch. We pride ourselves on being a studio that does amazing work while maintaining an inclusive culture and supporting work-life balance for our employees.
Senior Programmers at Iron Galaxy work on a wide variety of projects, including creating new games from the ground up, co-developing games with partners, and porting existing games to new platforms. Our projects tend to have shorter development cycles; it’s not uncommon for a programmer to work on more than one project in a year. We’ve found that this helps keep things fresh and provides opportunities to utilize experience gained from previous projects.
As a Senior Programmer, you will be expected to take ownership of significant features and systems, debug difficult problems, and provide guidance and feedback to help your teammates grow. You should be comfortable navigating an unfamiliar codebase. While you may have one or more areas of expertise, you aren’t afraid to venture into other domains. In addition to your technical skills, you should have strong communication skills, and work well with diverse cross-functional teams.
This opportunity is available in either Orlando, FL or Chicago, IL.
Core Responsibilities: Responsibilities vary based on the project, and we will also aim to place you on projects that play to your strengths while also giving you room to grow. Here are some examples of what a Senior Programmer might be expected to do:
- Provide feedback in code reviews
- Identify performance bottlenecks and possible solutions
- Create a technical design document for a new system
- Review a game design document for a feature and provide feedback
- Implement low-level subsystems for a new platform
- Work with an evaluation team to provide information for a project bid
- Ensure adherence to platform compliance requirements
What else are we looking for? Here’s our wishlist for the ideal candidate. If you possess most of these qualities, you may very well be the one we’re looking for:
- Significant experience at a game studio (any size)
- Deep understanding of C/C++
- Strong debugging skills
- Development experience on at least one game console
- Able to adapt to new codebases and platforms
- Passion for personal development and mentoring others