Senior Graphics Programmer
This opportunity is for a full-time position, either in Chicago, IL or Orlando, FL. Iron Galaxy employees are all working from home through at least July 2021 due to COVID-19. This WFH policy extends to anyone that Iron Galaxy hires between now and then. All new-hire onboarding is being done remotely, and any equipment that you might need for projects at Iron Galaxy will be shipped directly to you.
Iron Galaxy Studios is seeking experienced Senior Graphics Programmers to join our world-class engineering team. We are a well-established independent game developer who has worked with the titans of our industry to ship more high-caliber games than any other indie developer. We’re known for our excellent work on Killer Instinct, as well as helping to bring Skyrim, Overwatch and Diablo III to the Nintendo Switch. We pride ourselves on being a studio that does amazing work while maintaining an inclusive culture and supporting work-life balance for our employees.
Graphics programmers at Iron Galaxy have contributed in many ways to this diverse portfolio of high-profile projects. This has included leading the development of new rendering features on Microsoft’s Killer Instinct, optimizing ambitious ports to the Nintendo Switch with Diablo 3 and Skyrim, tackling the challenges of virtual reality with Skyrim VR, and collaborating with our team of talented artists to develop great-looking content across all our internal projects.
Senior Graphics Programmers will help develop cutting edge graphics features, techniques, and effects on both internal and external projects. Senior Graphics Programmers at Iron Galaxy must be highly adaptable as they will work closely with multiple partners to develop games in many genres, using a variety of game engines. Working at Iron Galaxy provides exposure to a variety of graphics technologies that few studios can match. See why Great Place to Work recently certified us as a great place to work!
This opportunity is available in either Orlando, FL or Chicago, IL.
Core Responsibilities: Responsibilities vary based on the project, and we will also aim to place you on projects that play to your strengths while also giving you room to grow. Here are some examples of what a Senior Graphics Programmer might be expected to do:
- Develop cutting edge rendering features and special effects to support the needs of our internal projects and external clients
- Support our art and design departments with the best technology available to help them realize their visions
- Analyze performance and implement optimizations at both a high and low level.
- Work with our multi-disciplinary development team to help set the direction of rendering technology at Iron Galaxy
What else are we looking for? Here’s our wishlist for the ideal candidate. If you possess most of these qualities, you may very well be the one we’re looking for:
- 3+ years of graphics programming experience at a game studio or equivalent
- Highly comfortable navigating and modifying very large C++ game engines
- Stays up to date with developing trends and novel techniques in real-time rendering
- Understands modern hardware rendering pipelines
- Has reasonable math skills, as required to reason about modern 3D graphics techniques
- Is able to adapt to multiple rendering engines and graphics hardware
- Is a dependable teammate who is able to communicate with all development disciplines
- Deep knowledge of at least one low-level shading language and graphics API
- Proficiency using at least one high-quality graphics debugger (e.g., RenderDoc, PIX)
- Experience working on modern console hardware
- Experience with a current commercial-scale game engine
- Previous leadership experience of a team of graphics engineers