Lead Software Engineer
Diversity matters at Iron Galaxy. Every day, our team strives to build an inclusive environment where all voices are equal. We encourage people from every heritage, lifestyle, or background to apply. Iron Galaxy Studios is an equal opportunity employer that makes games that are welcoming to every player in the world.
This position is available in Chicago, IL, or Orlando, FL with relocation options for out-of-state applicants.
Iron Galaxy is looking for a Lead Programmer to join our world-class engineering team and help lead a team. Programmers at Iron Galaxy work on a wide variety of projects, including creating new games from the ground up, co-developing games with partners, and porting existing games to new platforms. Our projects tend to have shorter development cycles; it’s not uncommon for a programmer to work on more than one project in a year. We have found that this helps keep things fresh and provides opportunities to utilize experience gained from previous projects.
As a Lead Programmer, you will be expected to lead a small to medium-sized team, estimate and schedule work, contribute directly to features and systems, and provide guidance and feedback to help your team grow. Responsibilities vary based on the project, and we will also aim to place you on projects that play to your strengths while also giving you room to grow. Here are some examples of what a Lead Programmer might be expected to do.
- Provide feedback and mentorship to direct reports
- Identify and schedule work for a project, system, or feature
- Create a technical design document for a new system or feature
- Review a game design document for a feature and provide feedback
- Implement low-level subsystems for a new platform
- Implement a new feature or system, or extend an existing one
- Lead an evaluation team to provide information for a project bid
Here’s our wish list for the ideal Lead Software Engineer at Iron Galaxy. If you possess many or most of these qualities, you may very well be the one we’re looking for!
- Previous leadership/management experience
- Significant experience at a game studio (any size)
- Deep understanding of C/C++
- Strong debugging skills
- Development experience on at least one game console
- Able to adapt to new codebases and platforms
- Passion for personal development and mentoring others
ABOUT IRON GALAXY: We are one of the world’s largest independent video game developers. Our people combine their talents to create amazing ports and remasters for the biggest companies in the gaming industry. We also create exciting experiences for our own community. At Iron Galaxy Studios, we champion a healthy work-life balance, continuous improvement, equality, and support a diverse culture for all employees.
COVID Safety Notice: Iron Galaxy employees can elect to work from home until March of 2022. This policy extends to hires between now and then. Any equipment that you might need for projects will be shipped to you directly.