Director of Operations
At Iron Galaxy Studios, our teams support a healthy work-life balance, promote continuous improvement, and champion a diverse people-focused culture. We encourage Directors from every heritage, lifestyle, or background to apply.
This position is available in Chicago, IL, or Orlando, FL with relocation options for out-of-state applicants.
Iron Galaxy Studios is a well-established independent game developer who has partnered with the titans of our industry to ship more high-caliber games than any other independent developer. We make this happen by focusing upon our most important asset – our people. We take our team and our culture seriously, and we make every decision around our 4 company values of People, Partners, Continuous Improvement and Capability, while always striving to never be too corporate. We are now looking for a talented, passionate, and motivated Director of Operations to join the team.
The Director of Operations is responsible for administrative and immediate management of the Operations Team. This position is a mix of facilities management, project management, emergency response (which is rare but happens), and general administrative work. All Department Head positions at Iron Galaxy Studios collaborate closely with the Executive team members and similarly collaborate closely with their department. They will advise leadership on opportunities and pitfalls surrounding our continued growth. They will also be responsible for identifying the roles they need to support them as the company grows and manage the team moving forward. The ideal candidate is a passionate, tech-savvy self-starter who can help continuously improve our capabilities and show us how we can do more with a range of creative and cost-effective solutions.
- Manage the Operations department and oversee all of the work, while not being afraid to get your hands dirty and work on nitty-gritty details
- Ownership of all facilities management – includes maintenance oversight, relationship management with building management and landlords, monthly billing reviews of our office spaces, advising and assisting with searches for potential new office spaces, serving as the POC for insurance brokers, ensuring we always have a fridge full of water/soda/snacks, and other tasks related to ensuring that our studios continue being the best places anyone would want to work
- Oversee and assist administrative needs within the department; this includes but is not limited to reception, administrative assistants, contract management, and more as needed by senior staff
- Morale Ops – this refers to recommending and executing upon monthly/quarterly morale events (in-person and virtual), gifting recommendations, purchasing, and managing company and employee charitable giving. Involve team members and other stakeholders to execute upon approved plans, and ensure each program is successful
- Travel – manage our travel policies and booking platform
- Shipping and Receiving
- Career Growth oversight for the Operations Department – weekly check-ins, quarterly career growth conversations, annual compensation recommendations, and ensuring the right people are in the right roles while continually growing in their careers
- Manage the Operations Department budget and contracts for the above and related activities; review billing and budgets on a monthly basis.
- Provide leadership and vision for scaling the team and our infrastructure with the needs of the company
- Build relationships and partner with department leaders to understand key issues and goals. Provide data and insights to help managers run the company and make effective decisions
- Minimum 7 years of Facilities Management experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience in a supervisory / management role
- Experience managing systems and processes – examples at Iron Galaxy Studios are employee onboarding and offboarding, travel and emergency contact platforms, moving assets from one employee’s home to another while they’re working remotely, and more
- Experience in forecasting and tracking a departmental budget
- Experience reviewing and advising upon contracts
- Be available for infrequent travel (it’s important that this person visits all our offices)
- Very approachable, with excellent written and oral communication skills
Here’s our wish list for the ideal Director of Operations at Iron Galaxy. If you possess many or most of these qualities, you may very well be the one we’re looking for!
- Background with a company focused upon technology, advertising, entertainment, or another industry with a heavy focus on creative software development is highly preferred
- Highly motivated team player with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Passion for video games, gaming culture or the creative arts always helps ensure that you will enjoy the Iron Galaxy experience… but it’s not required!
ABOUT US: Iron Galaxy is one of the world’s largest independent video game developers with 60+ shipped titles. Our people combine their talents to create amazing ports, epic remasters, and new experiences from the ground up. We partner with the top companies in the gaming industry to co-develop and support AAA game creation at the highest level.
Safety Notice: Iron Galaxy employees can elect to work from home until March of 2022. This policy extends to hires between now and then. Any equipment that you might need for projects will be shipped to you directly