At Iron Galaxy, our teams support a healthy work-life balance, promote continuous improvement, and champion a diverse people-focused culture. We encourage professionals from every heritage, lifestyle, or background to apply.
This is a full-time position in Chicago (IL), Nashville (TN), or Orlando (FL) with relocation options for out-of-state applicants.
Iron Galaxy Studios is seeking a Combat Designer to join one of our studios. You will play a key role in creating, implementing, and tuning the gameplay combat for our brand-new brawler-royale multi-platform game - Rumbleverse.
As a Combat Designer, you’ll have an active role in shaping how players learn, execute and master combat game mechanics in unique open-world play spaces. You will create gameplay that is easy to understand but has the depth and nuance to explore and master. This role will be a vital focus of the design team collaborating with the game director, lead designer, level designers, animators, and character artists to enable memorable, meme-able, and uniquely outrageous melee battles.
A successful Combat Designer on Rumbleverse will be responsible for supporting and maintaining a cohesive gameplay vision. You will also be responsible for the combat development processes and pipeline. Your experience and strong understanding of successful combat design will significantly impact the project and the studio. You are the right candidate if you are as passionate about the health of your work environment as you are about the games you make.
- Create, implement, manage, and maintain combat mechanics
- Develop and implement fun and exciting melee moves to enable balanced competition
- Implement and iterate compelling and delightful combos and advanced tactics
- Create and manage combat documentation of process and features
- Own combat from design through to final implementation and polish
- Help develop efficient and sustainable pipelines and processes
- Collaborate with the Game Director, Lead Designer, other Combat designers, and narrative team
- Contribute positively and proactively to the solid creative relationship between production, design, programming, and art teams
- 2+ years of combat design experience
- 1+ AAA title(s) shipped in the role of a level designer
- Passion for combat design in video games
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong problem-solving and the ability to thrive on ambiguity
- Experience with open-world game design
- Strong sense for creating and balancing gameplay systems and mechanics
- Experience working in UE4
- Experience working with publishers or co-development partners
- Experience working on a variety of games and genres
- Experience developing for various current platforms (PC, Xbox, PS, Nintendo, etc.)
- Experience working on battle royale games
- Experience or skills in other design specializations (systems, level, 3Cs, UX, UI, etc.)
- Experience or skills in other game development disciplines (programming, art, animation, project management, etc.)
- Experience preparing playtest criteria and analysis to foster meaningful iterations to improve player experience
- Experience with melee combat game development
ABOUT US: Iron Galaxy is one of the world’s largest independent video game developers with 60+ shipped titles. Our people combine their talents to create amazing ports, epic remasters, and new experiences from the ground up. We partner with the top companies in the gaming industry to co-develop and support AAA game creation at the highest level.
Safety Notice: Iron Galaxy employees can elect to work from home through December of 2022. This policy extends to hires between now and then. Any equipment that you might need for projects will be shipped to you directly.