Iron Galaxy Studios is looking for a talented, passionate, and motivated Art Director to join our team as an artistic visionary and ensure our visual elements are of the highest quality for our projects. We are a well-established independent game developer who has partnered with the titans of our industry to ship more high-caliber games than any other independent developer. We’re known for our excellent work on Killer Instinct, as well as helping to bring Skyrim and Diablo III to the Nintendo Switch. We also pride ourselves on being a studio that does amazing work while maintaining a positive culture and supporting work-life balance for our employees.
Working closely with talented designers, artists and programmers at Iron Galaxy, the Art Director inspires a team of game artists. You have a clear understanding of implementing art assets for game engines with strong skillsets in the conception of both 2D and 3D art to push the visual boundaries. You might work on only one project at a time or up to three smaller projects at once.
As we continue to work on our own unannounced IP and port projects for AAA studios, our entire Art Department is passionate about games and understands the crucial intersection between art and game development. We continually push the creative and artistic skills of our colleagues, with the goal of sustaining our world-class standards while we grow. By joining our team, you can explore the limits of your imagination while gaining experience on a wide range of game development projects.
This opportunity is for a full-time position, either in Chicago, IL or Orlando, FL.
- Drive the artistic look, feel, and visual quality of art assets that capture the imagination and deliver on our partners’ creative vision for their projects
- Collaborate with creative Leads to craft and communicate the artistic vision of the projects
- Concept and pitch high-level game concepts
- Generate excitement and direction through Art Bibles, documentation, concept art, or mood boards
- Hands-on contribution to artwork that defines and enhances the moods of our games
- Communicate and collaborate with other development disciplines to create cohesive game worlds for our players
- Work with Production to schedule and track tasks that help our art team execute on our goals as efficiently as possible
What else are we looking for? Here’s our wish list for the ideal Art Director at Iron Galaxy. If you possess many or most of these qualities, you may very well be the one we’re looking for.
- Extensive experience working in interactive media and/or game development, some AAA game experience preferred
- Experience leading a creative team in crafting a distinct, cohesive visual style
- Ability to provide creative leadership through focused and inspiring reviews.
- Deep expertise and experience in at least one art field (e.g., character, environment, concept)
- Significant experience working with one or more industry-standard engines, such as UE4 or Unity
- Superb ability in one or more industry-standard software applications, such as Photoshop, Maya, ZBrush, Substance
- Values-driven and inclusive, committed to doing the right thing and being respectful to everyone on our team
- Fearless about trying out new tools with a commitment to keeping up with the latest industry standards, best practices and approaches to creative projects
- Commitment to mentorship and exchanging knowledge, advice, and best practices with your colleagues